Monday, February 17, 2014

My new Sector- Huayna Capac Puno

Well, I am now in Puno. I am in the Actual City, so that is nice. I am in a Ward!! YAY! We have a chapel, a bishop, a mission leader, and everything! I am excited for that. My Companion is Elder Castro. He is pretty cool. He is from Ecuador.

Puno is SUPER Cold! I am at 3,830 m (12,556 ft) above sea level. Almost double where I was in Wyoming 6,804 ft (2,074 m). It is also super pretty with the lake.

My companion and a family here in the ward played a funny trick on me my second day here. We went to the house and knocked on the door, and my companion asked for Dixie. She came to the door, and started yelling at us. She started saying things like: "Never come back here again," or "We could care less about you Mormons..." I kept my cool and started to talk to her a little about what we shared as missionaries, and an old lady inside the house yelled: "Dixie, let the young men in... it’s raining outside." I didn´t really want to go in because she had been so rude, but we got into the house, and started to talk. The old lady then pulled out a bottle of Champaign and offered it to us. I politely refused. But she insisted. She told me that If I didn´t drink it I would offend here a lot (Champaign is more expensive. It is quite common that people offer us Beer). I politely refused again, and explained to her that in the church we don´t drink anything that contains alcohol. She insisted again and poured me a glass. I put the glass on the table and turned to my companion. I was ready to leave. She had also poured a glass for my companion, and when I turned to him he looked at me, then at the glass, then at me again, and started to drink!! I was angry!! Then everyone started to laugh.

Turns out, the "Champaign" was really lemonade, and this family is one of the strongest families here in Huayna Capac. It was actually really funny.

Here in Peru (maybe in all of Latin America... I don´t know) they have a tradition of breaking eggs over the heads of people who have a birthday. Well, I got a few eggs broken over my head. That was fun.

All is well here. Have a great Week!

Photos: 1: Cool map of Lake Titikaka
2-3: First view of Puno and Lake Titikaka through the bus window
4-8: Cruel "Champaign" trick
9-10: Puno and Lake Titikaka
11-17: Birthday eggs
18-20: Awesome sunset
21: an awesome family here.


Elder Jacob M. Harmon
Misión Perú Cusco
Av. La Cultura 2417
En Frente la Urb. Santa Ursula
La Capilla Mormona
Cusco, Perú

No comments:

Post a Comment