Monday, October 28, 2013

Learning Experiences

Family and Friends,

This week, we talked with the smartest man I have ever met in my entire life. He literaly reads books all day every day. I learned a great lesson. I learned the importance of balance. It made me sad to listen to this man and think of the amazing experiences that he has missed out on during his life. He may be smart, but he doesn´t has a wife, kids, or happiness. He doesn´t have a life. Although, I want to gain lots of knowlege in this life, I will always have a balanced life.

This week has been a little hard because of the hardness of the people in Izcuchaca. The people are very hard-hearted, and that can be really hard as a missionary. Sometimes I wonder: "Why don´t they understand that I´m hear to help make them happy? Why can´t they realize the importance of our message?" Sometimes I feel like Nephi when he said:

"...For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry." (2 Nephi 33:3)

I am trying so hard, and I´m doing my best to help these people, but sometimes they just don´t understand. But it is a good experience, because it gives me a great oportunity to learn to pray earnestly for others, like Alma:

"Now when Alma saw this his heart was grieved; for he saw that they were a wicked and a perverse people [...]

 And he lifted up his voice to heaven, and cried, saying: O, how long, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that thy servants shall dwell here below in the flesh, to behold such gross wickedness among the children of men? [...]

O Lord God, how long wilt thou suffer that such wickedness and infidelity shall be among this people? O Lord, wilt thou give me strength, that I may bear with mine infirmities. For I am infirm, and such wickedness among this people doth pain my soul.

 O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of this people.

 O Lord, wilt thou comfort my soul, and give unto me success, and also my fellow laborers who are with me [...] yea, even all these wilt thou comfort, O Lord. Yea, wilt thou comfort their souls in Christ.

 Wilt thou grant unto them that they may have strength, that they may bear their afflictions which shall come upon them because of the iniquities of this people.

 O Lord, wilt thou grant unto us that we may have success in bringing them again unto thee in Christ.

 Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee." (Alma 31:24-35)

It is a  constant struggle, but I´m learning a lot every single day, and that is what´s important. I love you All!!

Oh, This week I also was caught in the biggest rain storm I´ve ever been in in my life! We didn´t even Have coats on because it was hot outside, but weather here in PerĂº changes even faster than it does in Wyoming (believe it or not). It started to pour! We ran to our apartement and were apsolutely soaked in less than a minute. It was litteraly like somebody was pouring a bucket of water on Izcuchaca. It was a lot of fun.

Elder Jacob M. Harmon

PS: I got the letters that you sent during conference! Thanks a lot. I will respond soon

Photos: This isn´t the day of the big rainstorm, but it is still cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment